History of Daniel Murphy Catholic High School
For over 75 years, the land currently occupied by Daniel Murphy Catholic High School has been the site of educational institutions. Originally, in 1926, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, built, and for 27 years maintained, Los Angeles College, a junior seminary, at Third and Detroit Streets. When, in 1953, the seminary moved to a new location adjacent to the San Fernando Mission, Los Angeles College, under the direction of the Archdiocesan clergy, became St. John Vianney High School, a college preparatory high school for young men. Later, in 1956, the Dominican Fathers and Brothers assumed responsibility for the school.
The original brick buildings, of which only the present school chapel survives, were replaced by a new complex in 1966. At that time the school was renamed in honor of Daniel Murphy, a pioneer Catholic businessman, industrialist, civic leader, and philanthropist.
In 1981, after 25 years of service in the school, the Dominican community transferred to the Orange Diocese. The administration of the school was returned to the Archdiocese with the appointment of Reverend Leslie V. Esposito as Principal. In 1984, Reverend Richard Loomis became Principal. Mr. Keith T. Murphy the school's first lay Principal, was appointed in 1988.
The school chapel (St. John Vianney Chapel) is the only remaining building from the early days when the site was used as a junior seminary. The school still holds many of its religious services in this building. Every Sunday morning people gather for Mass in the chapel.